Starting a Business

Business Tax Receipts

If you plan to open a business in the Town of Lauderdale-By-The-Sea - or do business within the Town’s municipal limits - you must obtain a Business Tax Receipt by submitting a Business Tax Receipt Application (PDF) to Town Hall.

Click here to submit payment for your Business Tax Receipt Renewal fee.

The business regulation requirements of the State of Florida and the Town state that no person shall engage in, manage, or be in charge of any business, profession, or occupation until a Town Business Tax Receipt has been obtained for the current year. Please note: all rental property including docks must obtain a Business Tax Receipt.

Before submitting this application, the following steps should be followed in determining whether a proposed business can be started in the Town.

  1. Contact Town Hall at 954-640-4203 to determine the following:
    1. The zoning district of the area in which you would like to start your business
    2. For that district, does the code allow your business use at your proposed location
    3. If the business use is allowed in the zoning district, determine whether there is enough parking on-site to accommodate your proposed business use
  2. If the zoning allows the use and there is adequate parking to accommodate the proposed business, then the owner can apply for a Business Tax Receipt
    1. Business Tax Receipt Information
      1. The application shall be completed by the individual or one of the partners of the corporation
      2. Business Tax Receipts shall be obtained prior to October 1 of each year
      3. Business Tax Receipt renewals are mailed prior to August of each year and repayable by mail
      4. All Business Tax Receipts shall have a permanent address; no P.O. boxes will be accepted
    2. Obtaining your Business Tax Receipt
      1. Access the application (PDF)
      2. All completed applications must be on the original form and be notarized
      3. Applications will be reviewed by the Town for approval
      4. Once you are notified of your approval, payment must be submitted and an inspection time and date will be scheduled. An inspection of all new businesses must be conducted
      5. After the inspection is conducted and passed, your receipt will be mailed to you within one week
  3. If there is not adequate parking to accommodate the proposed business, then the owner will have to meet with the Town to discuss alternatives to obtain parking
  4. If the business use is not allowed in the zoning district, the owner can apply for a zoning and/or site plan approval, if the zoning and/or site plan approval is granted by the Town Commission, the applicant can apply for a Business Tax Receipt
  5. Businesses operated out of the home must comply with Home Occupation Regulations in the Town’s Code, the following requirements apply:
    1. Home offices must be secondary to the use of the dwelling for residential purposes
    2. Only the owner or occupant may operate a home office
    3. There shall be no display of goods or machinery
    4. No traffic shall be generated in greater volume than normally expected in a residential neighborhood
    5. All pick-ups and deliveries to the home office shall be done from vehicle that can park in the driveway and shall be limited to no more than three per day
    6. A home office may not exceed 20 percent of the living area of the dwelling
  6. If you intend to alter, remodel, relocate or install any structural, electrical, plumbing or mechanical portions of the building, you will need to obtain Building Permits from the Building Division of the Development Services Department at 954-640-4215
  7. Businesses involving any changes, exterior building changes or sign changes should secure Development Services Department approval prior to lease execution or purchase, contact Development Services at 954-640-4215 to discuss any proposed changes
  8. If your business uses or stores hazardous materials (including paints, thinners, solvents, compressed gases, etc.) you may be required to obtain a Hazardous Materials Permit, contact the Town Fire Marshall at 954-640-4250 for more information